USSF Certification for Affiliated Youth and Amateur Games
US Soccer entry referee course level is now Grassroots Referee.
Referee certification courses are offered (mostly) every month.
New York State requires referees be 14 years old or older in order to work as a Referee.
The three main parts to become a referee are:
1. Online Grassroots Referee Course Module, US Soccer Federation Learning Center (LC)
2. Zoom class led by an Eastern New York instructor (approx. 2 hour)
3. Field training session, conducted by local Referee Organization, (WSRO in Westchester), 2 hour, on the field.
To be admitted to a zoom class, one must first complete the Online Grassroots Referee Course
Upon completion of the zoom class, the student will order his/her referee uniform package (consisting of 2 shirts, socks, shorts, yellow/red cards, line flags, whistle, flip coin and carrying bag–paid for as part of the course fee) and join a local referee association, for example Westchester Soccer Referee Organization (WSRO) covering Westchester, Bronx. The WSRO will hold a field session, after which the student will receive his/her badge and will be certified to officiate.
Click HERE for Instructions on how to register for ENY New Referee Course
This link should take you through the entire process, summarized as follows:
1) register for a Grassroots Course which has an associated ZOOM session
2) complete the online modules (three components; Laws of the Game, Safe Sport (if over 18y/o); and the Safe and Healthy Playing Environments. Plus the Grassroots quiz.)
3) attend the ENY ZOOM meeting
4) Become a member and complete a Field Session with your local association
Please enter the student’s name (not the parent’s).